Monday, April 6, 2009

West Lafayette native to walk for cancer in Alaska

West Lafayette native to walk for cancer in Alaska | zanesvilletimesrecorder.com | Zanesville Times Recorder
WEST LAFAYETTE - Carla McCrea Donnelly feels lucky to be alive.
Advertisement

When she was 16 years old, the West Lafayette native was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, a blood/lymph node cancer. She underwent five weeks of radiation therapy, putting the cancer into remission. Then five years later, just two months away from her cure date, she discovered a lump under her clavicle.

By the age of 26, she was officially cured of Hodgkin's Disease after a harsh round of chemotherapy. But a different form of the disease struck again 10 years later; she was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 36 last March.

This third attack was caused by the radiation she had for her Hodgkin's Disease. Even though it was only in her right breast, she chose to have a double mastectomy to make sure the cancer would never return. She finished her last round of chemo in August, and is happy with how her reconstructive surgery turned out.

With a new lease on life after beating cancer three times, Donnelly wants to do her part to raise money and awareness for the disease. On June 20, the Hilliard/Columbus-area resident will be participating in a half-marathon in Anchorage, Alaska, with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.

"I had my choices of where I wanted to go. I've never been to Alaska, and I thought I might never get to go there, so this is a great opportunity," she said. "It's invigorating, and I'm excited. It's an amazing opportunity to help people out."

"I have to raise $4,800 to be able to go," she continued.

Donnelly said it's been tough to train for her first marathon after undergoing chemo, but she's glad she's doing something to keep herself healthy. After the half-marathon, she plans to join the Breast Cancer Survivor's Rowing Team of Central Ohio.

"This is out of my character; I'm not an athlete," she said. "I think my family and friends are skeptical. But I walked four miles one night. It's out of the ordinary, but I'm doing it."
Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 comments: